Swim Lessons at NW Cary
Swim Lessons at NW Cary
Youth and Adult swim lessons are offered throughout the year for swimmers ages 3 and up. Group swim lessons are for active members only. UNC Wellness Centers swim lessons emphasize water safety and skill and stroke development. Beginning swimmers are introduced to basic stroke movement and learn how to be more comfortable in the water. More advanced swimmers are instructed in stroke technique, endurance, and safety skills. UNC swim lessons have a low child-to-instructor ratio to ensure plenty of time in the water.
Registration Period: Sunday, October 1st, 5:00 pm – Monday, October 2nd, 5:00 pm
Mondays/Wednesdays: October 9, 11, 16, 18, 23, 25, 30, & November 1
Sundays: October 8, 15, 22, and 29
Thursdays: October 5, 12, 19, and 26
Registration Link: The link to request to register a participant will be live during the designated enrollment window. Click this link during open enrollment 👉: Registration Request Form
Parent/Tot, Youth, Adult Lessons
- Twice a week: 30-minute - 8 sessions: $135.00
- Once a week: 30-minute - 4 sessions: $67.00
We require all participants to be pre-qualified for their swim level prior to registration. To pre-qualify you must have 1) completed group swim lessons previously OR 2) had a swim assessment prior to registration. Swim assessments will ensure your child is placed at the appropriate level. We do not issue credits or guarantee a spot in another group if your child is placed incorrectly.
Your chances in the lottery system increase when you:
- Input the swim participant’s name exactly as it is listed on the member account.
- Make sure all participants are added to the account.
- Submit only one request form per participant. Multiple entries for the same participant may filter out all requests.
- Update email address. The confirmation email will be sent to the email address associated and listed on your member account. If you would like this email updated call the NW Cary Front Desk at 984-974-5900.
- Only select the time options you can attend. With more requests than availability, you might receive your third choice!
- If your membership is on freeze, in order to be considered and enrolled, you will need to unfreeze your membership.
Submitting Your Request to Register
- The link to request to register a participant will be live during the designated enrollment window. Click this link during open enrollment: Registration Request Form
- The participant enrolling in the program must be added to the account. This can be completed on our website here or by contacting our membership office at 984-974-6054
- The code will be given by your current instructor or by using the swim assessment form located in the tab below.
- After entering your code, you will be directed to the class session(s) for your correct level.
- Only choose times that will work for your schedule as you will automatically be enrolled if space is available. Please note that not all levels are offered every session.
- Once you complete the form this will serve as your signature and consent to charge your account. You also acknowledge our policy states no credit or refunds will be issued.
- You will receive a completion email from the request to register form.
- The application is a request only. It does not guarantee a spot for anyone. There is limited availability in our program.
- If selected for a class, we will send a confirmation email and automatically charge your account. You will also receive an instructor welcome email prior to the start of class.
- The selection is not time sensitive.
- The request is random, and the lottery selection is weighted based on participant level, previously enrolled participants for beginners and intermediates, and keeping sibling class times closer together.
Do you have to be a member to participate?
- Yes, only active members can participate in our group swim program. Please contact the Front Desk at 919-957-5900 if you need to change your membership status.
What code do I use for the registration request form?
- Current participants will receive a code on their report card given the last class of lessons from their instructor—if you are not able to attend the last lesson, your instructor will send an email with the code.
- New participants can fill out a questionnaire under the swim assessment tab on our website. https://forms.office.com/r/YFhDTTJnRm
What if I register for the wrong time/class? Or submit a wrong submission?
- If you recognize immediately that you made inaccurate choices, contact:
Why am I not receiving my confirmation email?
- Confirmation emails will be sent 24-48 hours after the enrollment window closes.
- If selected in the program, the confirmation email will be sent to the email address associated and listed on your member account—check your spam folder as well.
- If you did not get in, you will receive an email with the status of your request as well as your code for the next session.
- If selected for a swim lesson, your account will automatically be charged.
- The payment of your lesson will be deducted from your method of payment on your account at the end of the session.
What if I am not selected?
- We do encourage our families with children and adults in the program to practice and develop the skills that they learned while participating in the program by reserving a lap lane or utilizing Lane 7
Will you still be offering private swim lessons?
- No, we no longer offer private or semi-private swim lessons.
What days will group lessons be offered?
- Group lessons will be offered on Monday and Wednesday evenings for 4 weeks for a total of 8 lessons per session. We will offer group lessons on Sundays for 4 weeks for a total of 4 lessons per session. Additionally, adult lessons are available Thursday evenings for 4 weeks for a total of 4 lessons per session.
What if our swimmer can participate on Monday and Wednesday for one session, but can only do weekends for the next?
- Weekend sessions will focus on all skill sets meant to be introduced in a swim level. Switching from weeknights to weekends will not change the instruction your child is receiving.
- The reason you will find more advanced levels on weekends is to allow novice swimmers more repetition and exposure to the water during each session.
- Weekend participants are encouraged to come into the pool to practice and build upon the skills they’ve learned each week.
Why is my level not offered?
- Our class offerings are based on pass/retake submissions from the previous session and assessments.
- Classes change each session. View the Swim Lesson Schedule located on the right hand side of the aquatics page to view the upcoming classes offered.
How do you handle credits, refunds, and make-ups?
Due to the limited availability and specific operational costs, no refunds, no credits, no transfers, and no make-ups are issued for illnesses, vacations, schedule conflicts, etc. This allows us to maintain our small student-teacher ratios and keep member program costs down.