The aquatics area consists of a 7-lane, 25-yard indoor heated pool, a whirlpool, and a sauna. The main pool includes a deep end which allows us to increase the type of group fitness programming we can offer. Lap lanes will always be available. The aquatics area will be open during regular facility hours. However, the area will close 15 minutes prior to the facility closing to allow users time to shower, change, and exit the building before the facility closes. The main pool’s temperature will be maintained at around 83 degrees and the air temperature between 83 and 86 degrees. Lifeguards are always on duty.
(May reserve lap lane online within 7 days of the reservation beginning at 12:00 pm)
- Create your online account by clicking here. On this page, enter the appropriate information to create your login credentials. If you have any issues creating your account, please contact us and we can have temporary login credentials emailed to you.
- Once you have created your account or if you already have your login credentials, log into your membership account on the same page you created your account. Enter your username and password and click Login.
- On the home page, click the Scheduler button.
- Click the Aquatics button.
- Select a Lap Lane.
- Enter in the date you would like to reserve a lap lane and hit Continue.
- On the next page, you will be able to see all of the 30 minute slots that are available to reserve for the lap lane and date you selected. If you do not see an option that works, you can continue to search for other options by wellness center location, any lap lane and other dates. Reminder: lap lanes can be reserved up to 1 week in advance and members are allowed to book one slot per day during that one week period.
- Click the Add to Cart button when you are ready to make a reservation for a time slot.
- Click Continue to confirm adding the reservation slot to your cart.
- Select the individual using the reservation and select the Host button. The member and the reservation will be verified at the front desk when checking in. Individuals must be a minimum of 13 years old to use the pool at this time.
- Click the Continue to Cart button to confirm booking.
- The next page will confirm your booking and you will receive a confirmation email to the email address on file. You can hit the Back button to start over and book a reservation for another day if allowable.
- If you have any questions or issues, please CONTACT US and we will get back to you as soon as possible and will answer your email within 1 business day or sooner.
Reservation by Phone
(May reserve lap lane online within 7 days of the reservation beginning at 5:00AM)
- Call our front desk beginning June 1st during operating hours and our staff will be able to reserve a lap lane for you.
- Meadowmont: 919-966-5500 and NW Cary: 919-957-5900.
- Hours of Operation: Monday - Friday, 5am - 8pm; Saturday, 7am - 7pm; Sunday, 7am - 1pm.
How to View A Scheduled Lap Lane Reservation
- Sign in to your online member account.
- On your member account home page, select ‘Account Information’.
- Select ‘Reservation Report’ (Left Side of Screen).
- Input Date Criteria.
- Click ‘Show Report’ (Right Side of Screen) to view your scheduled reservation.
How to Cancel A Scheduled Lap Lane Reservation
- Follow Steps 1-5 on How to View a Lap Lane Reservation.
- Look for ‘Schedule’ (1st Box at Bottom of Screen).
- Click Hyperlink of Lane Number/Appointment that you want to cancel.
- Click ‘Cancel Schedule’ (Bottom Right).
- Children under the age of 13 are not permitted in the sauna or whirlpool.
- Please shower before entering.
- We recommend cooling down before using the sauna or whirlpool.
- Entering the sauna or whirlpool immediately after exercise may deplete your energy rapidly.
- Please limit your time in the sauna or whirlpool to less than ten minutes.
- People with high blood pressure should consult a physician before using the sauna or whirlpool.
- Lap lanes 1-6 are reservation-based and can be booked through your online account, the UNC Wellness Centers app, or by contacting us at 984-974-5900. Lap Lane #7 is a drop-in lane and is available on a first come- first serve basis. Please note that Lane 7 will be reserved at times for programs such as swim lessons.
- When approaching to share a lane, please courteously notify those already occupying the lane.
- When sharing a lane (two people), each person may choose a side of the lane. Please stay on your side of the lane at all times to avoid a collision.
- Keep to the right at all times.
- If there is a workout set in progress, a swimmer may enter that lane only as part of the set.
- Always be aware of what is going on in your lane. If a swimmer behind you looks as though they may pass you, stop and wait in the corner for them to pass.
- Push off underwater to avoid making waves for other swimmers.
NW Cary: Lanes 1-4 are to be reserved for Aqua Aerobics classes. Meadowmont: Lanes 1-2 are reserved for Aqua Aerobics.
Swim Lessons at NW Cary
Youth and Adult swim lessons are offered throughout the year for swimmers ages 3 and up. Group swim lessons are for active members only. UNC Wellness Centers swim lessons emphasize water safety and skill and stroke development. Beginning swimmers are introduced to basic stroke movement and learn how to be more comfortable in the water. More advanced swimmers are instructed in stroke technique, endurance, and safety skills. UNC swim lessons have a low child-to-instructor ratio to ensure plenty of time in the water.
Monday/Wednesday Class Dates: June 5, 7, 12, 14, 19, 21, 26, 28 (Make-up Thursday, June 29)
Thursday Dates: June 8, 15, 22, 29
Sunday Dates: June 4, 11, 18, 25
We will open the request for swim lessons registration Sunday, May 28th at 5:00 pm it will remain open until Tuesday, May 30th at 8:00 am. A new request form needs to be completed each session.
- Click here or copy and paste this link into your browser. https://forms.office.com/r/tGb5RiD4Y5
Swim codes are unique for each session.
Old codes are deactivated and will not work with a new swim request form. If you are currently in the swim program you should have received a code from your instructor with report card. If not email your instructor directly.
If you attended a swim assessment you were given a code to use. If you are not currently in our program complete this swim questionnaire: https://forms.office.com/r/YFhDTTJnRm
Once you have completed this form, a code will be provided for you. Then continue with your code to the Request for Swim Lessons form: https://forms.office.com/r/tGb5RiD4Y5
Submitting Your Request to Register
- The link to request to register a participant will be live during the designated enrollment window listed above.
- The participant enrolling in the program must be added to the account. This can be completed on our website here or by contacting our membership office at 984-974-6054.
- Enter the email where you wish to receive contact information.
- After entering your code, you will be directed to the class session(s) for your correct level.
- Enter your first, second, and third choice of class times. Only choose times that will work for your schedule as you will automatically be enrolled if space is available.
- Once you complete the form this will serve as your signature and consent to charge your account. You also acknowledge our policy states no credit or refunds will be issued.
- The application is a request only. It does not guarantee a spot for anyone. There is limited availability in our program.
- The UNC Wellness Center’s staff will assign participants to class levels based on the preference of times and will try to keep siblings closer together.
- If selected for a class, we will send a confirmation and automatically charge your account. You will also receive an instructor welcome email prior to the start of class.
- Once you/your child is enrolled, we do not issue credits or refunds.
- The selection is not based on a first come first enrolled basis.
- The request is random and is weighted giving priority to participants currently enrolled except for Swim Technique and Conditioning.
- Please do not select an option that will not work for you. Once you/your child is enrolled, we do not issue credits or refunds.
- This is a request only. It does not guarantee a spot for anyone. We have limited availability.
How Do You Get a Code?
- If you are currently in the April session you will receive a code from your instructor, and it will be placed on your report card
- If you attend an assessment your code will be given to you with the assessment.
- If you have been in our program in 2023 but did not receive a code. Please email us at email@example.com We will email you within 24 business hours.
- If you have never been in our Learn to Swim program and are currently an active member. Please proceed to the form and answer the appropriate questions and you will be assigned a code.
- If your membership is on freeze, in order to be considered and enrolled, you will need to unfreeze your membership.
We require all participants to be pre-qualified for their swim level prior to registration. To pre-qualify you must have 1) completed group swim lessons previously OR 2) had a swim assessment prior to registration. Swim assessments will ensure your child is placed at the appropriate level. We do not issue credits or guarantee a spot in another group if your child is placed incorrectly.
Assessments for the June Session:
Tuesday, May 23: 4:30-6:00 pm
No registration is necessary. Assessments are included with your membership and on a first come first assessed basis
Monday/Wednesday classes meet two times a week. Sunday classes meet once a week. Sessions last four weeks.
Arrive at least 10 minutes prior to the start of the class to ensure you have adequate time to park, check in, and help your child get dressed.
If you are late or not ready when the instructor calls for your child, the instructor will only be able to swim with the child for the remainder of the allotted lesson time.
Child Location/First Day
Your lane assignment is indicated on our website. A lesson liaison will be onsite to direct you to the appropriate spot to wait for your instructor.
Pool Closure/Lesson Interruption /Makeups
In the event of a thunderstorm or facility emergency, the pool closes for your safety and everyone must evacuate the pool area. If your child misses a class we cannot prorate or credit missed classes for any reason. If the pool is closed due to safety or other facility reasons, only the Monday/Wednesday groups receive one makeup lesson. For up-to-date information regarding pool closures, call the UNC Wellness Center at Northwest Cary Front Desk at 984-974-5900.
Beginner/Intermediate level classes are set at a 4:1 swimmer/instructor ratio. Parent-Tot/Advanced/Adult classes are a 6:1 swimmer/instructor ratio.
Instructors will be assigned at the conclusion of the registration.
Due to limited availability and high demand, we cannot make changes once you have purchased a specific level. No refunds will be given once you have purchased a session.
Due to the limited availability and specific operational costs, no refunds, no credits, no transfers and no make-ups are issued for illnesses, vacations, schedule conflicts, etc. This allows us to maintain our small swimmer-to-instructor ratios and keep member program costs down.
Please make sure your child uses the restroom and showers off before their lesson. We have just two family changing rooms. Please be considerate and restrict the amount of time you spend so that others may use the space as well.
What to wear/bring
We require all children under three years old and any children who are not completely potty-trained to wear a reusable swim diaper. This diaper must be snug fitting and non-disposable. Swim caps are optional but long hair can get in your eyes so you will want to pull it back. Goggles for intermediate and advanced levels are strongly encouraged. Please bring your own lock to use the lockers on the pool deck.
The most important role of a parent or guardian during swimming lessons is to be positive and patient with your swimmer’s success. There is no set pace for your child’s swimming improvement. To maintain quality class management, parents are required to sit and observe lessons from the designated seating areas located near their child’s lane.
What is the Learn to Swim program?
The Learn to Swim program encourages our members to learn to swim safely. Our goal is that our participants will learn to swim and be able to enjoy all aspects of our Wellness Centers on their own once they can independently participate in all activities, including the aquatics area.
Will you still be offering private swim lessons?
No, we no longer offer private or semi-private swim lessons.
Do you have to be a member to participate?
Yes, only active members can participate in our group swim program. Please contact the Front Desk at 919-957-5900 if you need to change your membership status.
Does my child have to have a Swim Assessment to participate? What is a Swim Assessment?
We require all participants to be pre-qualified for their swim level prior to registration. To pre-qualify you must have 1) completed group swim lessons previously, or 2) had a swim assessment prior to registration. Swim assessments are complimentary, take about 10 minutes and will ensure your child is placed at the appropriate level.
What days will group lessons be offered?
Group lessons will be offered on Monday and Wednesday evenings for 4 weeks for a total of 8 lessons per session. We will also offer condensed group lessons on Sundays for 4 weeks for a total of 4 lessons per session. Additionally, adult lessons are available Thursday evenings.
When will the classes be visible in the online member portal?
The classes will be visible in the online member portal on the day and time registration opens for each session. For more information on registration view the registration guide.
Can I enroll in weekday and weekend lessons during the same session?
To accommodate as many members as possible, we ask that your participant is enrolled in one set of lessons per session (i.e., either Monday/Wednesday, or Sunday lessons). Participants enrolled in multiple lessons will be asked to choose which set is their preference and their registration will be canceled for the other one. Please remember, that we do not offer credits or refunds for lessons enrolled incorrectly.
If my child is enrolled on weekends and only has 4 classes, does that mean they won’t progress as quickly?
Weekend sessions will still focus on all skill sets meant to be introduced in a level. However, there will be limited time to practice during the lesson. Members are encouraged to bring their children to the facility to practice the skills learned each week.
What is the price for weekend sessions? Will the rate be prorated?
- Eight 30-minute lessons held on Mondays and Wednesdays will be $115 for one 4-week session
- Four 30-minute lessons held on Saturdays or Sundays will be $55 for one 4-week session
- Four one-hour lessons (Swim Technique and Conditioning only) will be $95 for one 4-week session
What if our swimmer can participate on Monday and Wednesday for one session, but can only do weekends for the next?
Weekend sessions will focus on all skill sets meant to be introduced in a swim level. Switching from weeknights to weekends will not change the instruction your child is receiving. It will limit the amount of class time that is devoted to perfecting and practicing a skill. Weekend participants are encouraged to come into the pool to practice the skills they’ve learned each week.
My swimmer has graduated from the Learn to Swim program. What can they participate in next?
Our program revision will allow us to offer the more advanced levels of swim such as Stroke Refinement and Advanced Stroke refinement, as well as incorporate some new programming for varied swim levels, including Parent and Tot and 6-12 Swim Technique and Conditioning.
How do you handle credits, refunds, and make-ups?
Due to the limited availability and specific operational costs, no refunds, no credits, no transfers, and no make-ups are issued for illnesses, vacations, schedule conflicts, etc. This allows us to maintain our small student-teacher ratios and keep member program costs down.