The aquatics area consists of a 5 lane, 25 yard indoor heated pool, a whirlpool, a sauna, and a warm-water therapy pool. Temperatures, cleaning, and composition of each feature (air temp, humidity, chlorination, etc.), are monitored on a regular basis and managed closely. Pool and air temperatures are kept at constant levels and are set by management to best accommodate the needs of a variety of aquatics participants. The aquatics area can be accessed through the back of either locker room, or by walking to the end of the hallway to the left of the stairs in the main lobby.
The aquatics area is open during regular facility hours. However, the area closes 15 minutes prior to the facility closing to allow users time to shower, change, and exit the building before the facility closes. The main pool’s temperature is maintained at approximately 83 degrees and the air temperature between 83 and 86 degrees. Lifeguards are always on duty and any potentially hazardous situation should be reported to staff immediately. To view the current pool lane schedule for lap swimming and open recreation, click here.
Swim lessons are no longer offered at our Meadowmont facility. Group swim lessons are offered at our Northwest Cary facility. For more information, please click here.
Warm-Water Therapy Pool
A warm-water therapy pool is also part of the aquatics area and the water temperature is maintained at approximately 91-92 degrees. This pool is partitioned and is available to the general membership only during scheduled classes as it is primarily used by the Physical Therapy clinic for patient rehabilitation sessions. For a list of aquatic group fitness classes including the main and warm water pools, click here.
Aquatics Area General Guidelines
- Children under 8 using the pool must be accompanied at all times by an adult in the water. Children between 8 and 12 must have an adult present on the pool deck.
- Please shower before entering any of the pools.
- Please refrain from using the pool if you have an open wound or contagious skin condition.
- Children who are not yet toilet-trained are required to wear swim diapers in the pool.
- For your safety and well-being, sandals or aqua socks are recommended in this area. Always use care when on a wet surface as it may be slippery.
- Three lanes are regularly reserved for lap swimmers. Lap swimming lanes are only reduced when special events or programs require more space.
- Children under the age of 13 are not permitted in the sauna or whirlpool.
- We recommend cooling down before using the sauna or whirlpool.
- Entering the sauna or whirlpool immediately after exercise may deplete your energy rapidly.
- Please limit your time in the sauna or whirlpool to less than ten minutes.
- People with high blood pressure should consult a physician before using the sauna or whirlpool.
Lap Swimming Guidelines
- Lap lanes are first-come, first-served. However, during peak usage it may become necessary for you to share a lane with other swimmers.
- When approaching to share a lane, please courteously notify those already occupying the lane.
- When sharing a lane (two people), each person may choose a side of the lane. Please stay on your side of the lane at all times to avoid a collision.
- When three or more people share a lane, it is required to circle swim.
- When joining a lane for circle swimming, assess the speed of the other swimmers and select the lane that is most appropriate for your pace. Then courteously notify the swimmers in that lane that you are joining them.
- Keep to the right at all times.
- If there is a workout set in progress, a swimmer may enter that lane only as part of the set.
- Swimming within a lane is by agreement of the majority. Swimmers should arrange themselves in speed order, fastest to slowest.
- Always be aware of what is going on in your lane. If a swimmer behind you looks as though he/she may pass you, stop and wait in the corner for the swimmer to pass.
- Push off underwater to avoid making waves for other swimmers.
Aqua Aerobics Guidelines
NW Cary: Lanes 1-4 are to be reserved for Aqua Aerobics classes. Meadowmont: Lanes 1-2 are reserved for Aqua Aerobics.
- 30 minutes before scheduled class time, the lifeguard will alert each swimmer using a lane that is to be moved of the upcoming adjustment in 15 minutes. Members are welcome to continue using this lane, for the 15 minutes but will need to move when asked by the lifeguard and to accommodate the aqua class.
- Open Rec is closed to members who are not participating in aqua aerobic classes. Members can use the swim lanes for swimming only or they can come back after the aqua class to use the open rec space.