The aquatics area consists of a 5 lane, 25 yard indoor heated pool, a whirlpool, a sauna, and a warm-water therapy pool. Temperatures, cleaning, and composition of each feature (air temp, humidity, chlorination, etc.), are monitored on a regular basis and managed closely. Pool and air temperatures are kept at constant levels and are set by management to best accommodate the needs of a variety of aquatics participants. The aquatics area can be accessed through the back of either locker room, or by walking to the end of the hallway to the left of the stairs in the main lobby.
The aquatics area is open during regular facility hours. However, the area closes 15 minutes prior to the facility closing to allow users time to shower, change, and exit the building before the facility closes. The main pool’s temperature is maintained at approximately 84 degrees and the air temperature between 83 and 86 degrees. Lifeguards are always on duty and any potentially hazardous situation should be reported to staff immediately.
Group Swim Lessons
Infant, children, adult and swim club lessons are available throughout the year in the aquatics area. For more information on swim lessons, click on the Swim Lessons Schedule and Swim lessons Guide to the right or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Swim Lesson Session and Registration Information
Current Swim Lesson Session Dates
Weeks 1 – 4: Monday, February 19th – Sunday, March 18th
BREAK (NO CLASSES): Sunday, March 19th – Sunday, March 25th
Weeks 5 – 8: Monday, March 26th – Sunday, April 22nd
Upcoming Swim Lesson Session Information
MEMBERS: Registration will take place in the aquatics area of the Meadowmont Wellness Center for members on Wednesday, April 25th at 3:00PM.
NON-MEMBERS: Registration will take place in the aquatics area of the Meadowmont Wellness Center for non-members on Thursday, April 26th at 3:00PM.
Upcoming Swim Lesson Session Dates
Weeks 1 – 4: Monday, April 30th – Sunday, May 27th
BREAK (NO CLASSES): Monday, May 28th – Sunday, June 3rd
Weeks 5 – 8: Monday, June 4th – Sunday, July 1st
If you are interested in scheduling a swim assessment for your child prior to registration please email Paula.Roupas@unchealth.unc.edu Indicate which facility you would prefer if there is space we will try to accommodate you but no guarantees can be made. Space is limited and on a first come first serve basis.
Private Swim Lessons
Due to the overwhelming popularity of swim lessons we are no longer accepting private lesson request forms. Once we have satisfied the current wait list we will re-evaluate the availability of private lessons.
Swim Conditioning Classes
Swim conditioning is a coach led session covering 1800-3400 yards in an hour. Workouts will feature a variety of intervals, longer swims, drills, pulls, and multi-strokes designed to improve technique and fitness. Stroke technique is observed via poolside coaching to help swimmers become more efficient and improve their stroke. Swim conditioning is deal for triathletes, competitive swimmers and fitness swimmers of all levels.
Warm-Water Therapy Pool
A warm-water therapy pool is also part of the aquatics area and the water temperature is maintained at approximately 94 degrees. This pool is partitioned and is available to the general membership only during scheduled classes as it is primarily used by the Physical Therapy clinic for patient rehabilitation sessions. For a list of aquatic group fitness classes including the main and warm water pools, click here.
Aquatics Area General Guidelines
- Children under 8 using the pool must be accompanied at all times by an adult in the water. Children between 8 and 12 must have an adult present on the pool deck.
- Please shower before entering any of the pools.
- Please refrain from using the pool if you have an open wound or contagious skin condition.
- Children who are not yet toilet-trained are required to wear swim diapers in the pool.
- For your safety and well-being, sandals or aqua socks are recommended in this area. Always use care when on a wet surface as it may be slippery.
- Three lanes are regularly reserved for lap swimmers. Lap swimming lanes are only reduced when special events or programs require more space.
- Children under the age of 13 are not permitted in the sauna or whirlpool.
- We recommend cooling down before using the sauna or whirlpool.
- Entering the sauna or whirlpool immediately after exercise may deplete your energy rapidly.
- Please limit your time in the sauna or whirlpool to less than ten minutes.
- People with high blood pressure should consult a physician before using the sauna or whirlpool.
Lap Swimming Guidelines
- Lap lanes are first-come, first-served. However, during peak usage it may become necessary for you to share a lane with other swimmers.
- When approaching to share a lane, please courteously notify those already occupying the lane.
- When sharing a lane (two people), each person may choose a side of the lane. Please stay on your side of the lane at all times to avoid a collision.
- When three or more people share a lane, it is necessary to circle swim.
- When joining a lane for circle swimming, assess the speed of the other swimmers and select the lane that is most appropriate for your pace. Then courteously notify the swimmers in that lane that you would like to join them.
- Keep to the right at all times.
- If there is a workout set in progress, a swimmer may enter that lane only as part of the set.
- Swimming within a lane is by agreement of the majority. Swimmers should arrange themselves in speed order, fastest to slowest.
- Always be aware of what is going on in your lane. If a swimmer behind you looks as though he/she may pass you, stop and wait in the corner for the swimmer to pass.
- Push off underwater to avoid making waves for other swimmers.