UNC Wellness Centers has always practiced proper operation and maintenance of its pools and we are excited to announce the return of Aqua Aerobics. Your favorite instructors are well versed in safety protocols and looking forward to leading you through a safe, fun, and effective workout.
We want to ensure the safety of all of our members and staff. Please adhere to the following protocol.
- FACE COVERINGS FOR ALL MEMBERS – All members arriving at the Wellness Centers must wear face coverings. Face coverings should not be removed until the participant is into the aquatics area. It is encouraged that participants remove their face coverings once they are guided to get in the water. Keep face coverings with your belongings so it is easily identified. Avoid getting your face covering wet. Dry your face before putting your face covering back on.
- PHYSICAL DISTANCING – Please stay 6 feet apart in and out of the water.
- TRAVELING TO & FROM THE POOL – Check-in is required to verify your reservation and enter the facility. Self-scan your ID tag at the front desk. Plexiglas sneeze guards have been installed to protect staff and members. When entering the pool, participants must remain 6-feet apart. It is during this time that social distancing must be adhered to strictly because our participants are not wearing their masks. Members will exit at the back entrance doors of the aquatics area that feeds directly into the parking lot area.
- ENTERING AND EXITING THE POOL – After you have checked in you will receive a ticket numbered 1-10. Once you enter the pool deck, a staff member will direct you to a bench to set down your personal belongings. Remain at your bench until directed by a staff member. Staff will guide participants into the pool, from participant #10 down to #1. #10 will enter the pool first traveling to lane 3 in the depth appropriate for you. Numbers 9 and 8 will also be in lane 3. Numbers 7, 6, and 5 will be in lane 2. Numbers 1, 2, 3, and 4 will be in lane 1. Exiting will be handled in reverse order from #1 to #10.
- When getting into the pool, whenever possible the ramp should be used. Each student should enter slowly and individually waiting until the previous participant is in the pool and safely located in their exercise area.
- PERSONAL BELONGINGS – Minimize the items you are bringing to the Wellness Centers. Personal items may be placed on a designated chair or bench. Towels will not be available. Members must bring in a personal towel to dry off after class.
- CLOTHING & CHANGING – Please arrive already dressed for your aqua workout. When arriving at the facility, you should be wearing your mask, swimsuit, cover-up, and shoes. Sandals or flip flops are preferred as they can quickly and easily be removed.
- SHOWERS – We encourage participants to use the pool deck shower before entering and after exiting the pool. Locker rooms are closed.
- HAVE FUN – We love chatting with our members! However, for the time being, we ask that you please enter and exit the pool deck quickly. Please do not arrive more than 15 minutes early to class and please leave the pool deck in as timely a manner as possible to avoid crossover and allow adequate time for cleaning and sanitizing between sessions.
- EQUIPMENT AND LAP LANES – Lap Lanes will remain in place. Participants may need to duck under the lane marker or slip in the lane at the shallow end and move to a depth comfortable for you to exercise in. Equipment will be cleaned and disinfected before and after class. After class finishes, please follow directions on setting equipment down for staff to clean and disinfect.
- RESERVATION SYSTEM – To ensure physical distancing, we’ve developed a reservation system. Registration is required and is accessible through your UNC Wellness Centers membership account. For more information visit, https://uncwellness.com/covid-19-updates/in-person-group-fitness/
- WELLNESS CHECKS – We currently have an online Wellness Check option for your convenience. This online Wellness Check will allow you to complete the COVID-19 wellness screening questions on your smartphone or your desktop.
If completed on your desktop, print a copy or take a picture with your smartphone of the completed certificate and bring it in the day you plan to enter the wellness centers. If you complete the Wellness Check on your smartphone, you will show your completed certificate from your phone for the day you are entering the wellness centers. It may even benefit you to take a screenshot for easier access on the smartphone.
To complete the online Wellness Check, please click here.
- CONFIDENT INSTRUCTORS & PATIENT STUDENTS – Instructors will deliver modified classes with less travel in the pool to assist with physical distancing.
While some measures may prove to be inconvenient, we are focused on providing you the best care possible. Abiding by these guidelines will help ensure the well-being of our members and staff.
Thank you for your cooperation. For any questions or to share your feedback on our group fitness programming, please contact Paula Keck, Fitness Programs Manager, at Paula.Keck@unchealth.unc.edu.