Purpose: To provide the interested student experience working with cardiac rehabilitation patients and learning about all aspects of a clinical exercise program over a 12-14 week period.
Qualifications: Senior in an undergraduate Exercise Science program (or related field) with interest in pursuing a career in a clinical setting.
Required coursework: Anatomy & Physiology (including cardiovascular physiology), Exercise Physiology (with lab), Exercise Testing & Prescription or equivalent coursework.
Preferred experience: Group exercise leadership, exercise training or testing
Responsibilities: Attend all clinical hours of the cardiac rehab program, including set-up, morning report, classes, and follow-up report (MWF 6:15 am – 1:00 pm). One day in addition to MWF may be offered, as well as other opportunities within the Wellness Center such as health fairs, blood drives, educational courses, etc.
Experience Offered to Student:
- Continuous Telemetry monitoring
- Measuring BP (resting and exercise)
- Assisting with GXTs (treadmill protocols, 6 minute walk tests)
- EKG lead prep/placement
- Operating exercise equipment
- Exercise Prescription
- Exercise leadership/group fitness in special populations
- Strength and Flexibility Testing
- Exposure to Electronic Medical Record system
Application Deadline Dates:
Summer – February 15
Fall – May 15
Spring – October 15
Students will be notified if they are selected for an interview by email or phone.
Cardiac Rehab Internship Application